Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I don't know what it is about "Judging Amy" re-runs on TNT, but I am truly hooked. Maybe it's the score by Peter Himmelman, maybe it's knowing the fact that Tyne Daly smells (but is the backbone of the show) which causes me to chuckle when I think about it..I don't know what it is that draws me to the set everyday that I'm not working. Two hours of Amy trying to do the right thing..two hours watching Maxine (that's Tyne's character) trying to save abused children. It's heaven. Maybe I'll figure out the attraction soon, which means all y'all are going to read about it here.

I was let go from one of my teaching jobs yesterday. Actually, I think it was in the works for a while, but I found out by accident. I don't think the powers-that-be ever had any intention of informing me of this decision in person. They left that up to the website and a fellow adjunct faculty member. As well as 'hints' from a fellow faculty member about how he would have to learn the program I was using 'just in case he had to teach it someday',

That's Klassy with a 'k', wouldn't you agree? You see, I teach at a well-known Midwestern university in a major metropolitan area that has just started a field of study that I spent years working in professionally. I liked it. The students were incredibally enthusiastic, the staff eager to get things right. The program has major problems, but that's all due to growing pains. Late last fall, I was told that I was the first in line to run one of the fields of study. Finally, a fulltime gig in something I enjoy doing and most importantly, talking about. The best part, I could get my master's while working there. Pretty sweet deal. Ahh..but not all is as it seems. In the winter, we had major, major problems. Tech-wise. I did everything in my power..but it's kinda hard when you're not fulltime. I was told to figure things out on my own, do what I had to do to make it work--which is fine, I don't mind trying to make things work. I got some support from the associate profs, but not much because they had tech problems of their own. The head of the program was basically unavailable via phone or email. I haven't spoken to him in about 5-6 months. One would think that if there were problems with me, I would've been told and advised. One would think that the head of the dept would go to bat for someone he/she hired. One would think...well, alot of things.

In the long run, I am not upset about not teaching there in the fall. It's a sink or swim situation for most adjuncts. The program does have issues, but it will be fine. There is a lot of talented folks working there and the students are very hard working and decent. Many have what it takes to make a career of it. I do have faith.

However, the way it was handled was real crappy. I expected more from such a well-respected RELIGIOUS school. (don't get me started...) Unprofessionalism--none of us are truly immune, are we?

No comments: